Saturday, February 11, 2006
Paatee paatee jee-o
All over the world we have vegetarians, though there are more of them in India (like me). Many people talk of cruelty towards animals but nobody seems to feel the same for plant kingdom!
Gurbani tells us that entire vegetation has life

pwqI qorY mwilnI pwqI pwqI jIau ] (479-5, Awsw, Bgq kbIr jI)
paatee torai maalini paatee paatee jee-o.
You tear off the leaves, O gardener, but in each and every leaf, there is life.

Does that mean we should not eat any thing as food comes from living beings?

jIAw kw Awhwru jIA Kwxw eyhu kryie ] (955-11, rwmklI, mÚ 2)
jee-aa kaa aahaar jee-a khaanaa ayhu karay-i.
Animals eat other animals; this is what the Lord has given them as food.


Well, we have fought wars where many fellow humans were killed too! So what is all this fuss about?
My point is why killing without reason? If you kill to sustain yourself (food or War) it can be explained but killing just to decorate your rooms is not sensible. No one seems to mind giving flowers as gifts. But I feel sorry for the flowers which were there blooming for God

DUpu mlAwnlo pvxu cvro kry sgl bnrwie PUlμq joqI ]1] (13-2, DnwsrI, mÚ 1)
Dhoop mal-aanlo pavan chavro karay sagal banraa-ay foolant jotee. 1
The fragrance of sandalwood in the air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan.
All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord.
 
posted by upinder kaur at 2/11/2006 01:17:00 pm | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 16 February 2006 at 11:59 pm, Blogger Prabhu Singh

    Nice post Upinder Kaur! I definitely appreciate preservation. Consumerism is huge in America and many things get wasted.
    Like you I don't like when flowers are just picked from a gardern and used for decoration. But if the flower is grown for the purposes of decoration then I don't mind. Flowers don't last long anyway and if they are grown in a greenhouse to be sold, they won't be appreciated until their sold. I enjoy seeing flowers in the Gurdwara, but I definitely like seeing them growing outside!
    Thanks for sharing your blog!

     
  • At 17 February 2006 at 5:09 pm, Blogger upinder kaur

    Thank you Prabhu Singh! I thought no one seemed to agree with me.Honestly I had also thought of flowers grown in green houses but am puzzled as to what is correct. About your remark" Flowers don't last long" I won't agree. Every living being lives the lifespan given by AkalPurkh.If we compare our life span with that of a star,probably we also don't last long.I don't think we can bring any change but it was just my emmotion I wanted to share.Some one like you responded was enough. Thanx- God bless you.

     
  • At 17 February 2006 at 9:47 pm, Blogger SikhsRus

    Nice post! It is a puzzling question and answers are hard. I did a similar post in January on this "DO I even know what I am consuming anymore?". Keep up the great work!

     
  • At 17 February 2006 at 9:56 pm, Blogger SikhsRus

    Oh ya! And a another one in December "Love of God". Please read if you wish. Hope more and more people would take care of animals and plant more trees. The way things are going we probably won't have any place to plant things in another 200-300 years.